Trout Fishing Forums

Trout Fishing Forums (http://www.trout.co.uk/forums/)
-   Flies and Fly Tying (http://www.trout.co.uk/forums/flies-fly-tying/)
-   -   Dry versus wet flies (http://www.trout.co.uk/forums/flies-fly-tying/101-dry-versus-wet-flies.html)

skipper 12-30-2009 03:31 PM

Dry versus wet flies

What is your preference when you are flying fishing. Not sure of the reason, but I've always had more success with wet flies.

papabear 12-31-2009 02:02 AM

I've had my first catch with a wet fly, so I am going to stick to it in the future. However, it is easier to spot a catch with a dry fly.

LoveToFish 12-31-2009 03:10 PM

I've tried both when I first learned how to fish and found that I had more success with a wet fly than with a dry fly. I'll still try a dry fly every so often, but usually I'm using a wet fly.

FishersWife 12-31-2009 03:20 PM

I actually prefer the dry fly because of what papabear said; it's easier to spot a catch. I get frustrated when I'm not sure if anything is on the line, and dry flies just make it easier for me.

alfon 01-01-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skipper (Post 385)
What is your preference when you are flying fishing. Not sure of the reason, but I've always had more success with wet flies.

I also get more fish when using wet flies. But actually I prefer dry flies. I like the thrill of witnessing the trout jumps and strikes my fly.

Speymad 01-16-2010 11:19 PM

Wet fly fishing has to be the tops for me. Its a touch thing! Feeling the double whack as a fish takes the fly is electrifying!
I fish spider patterns a lot in rivers and stillwaters staying in contact with my flies by adjusting the tension on my line as the fly drops through the water or skips along in the current - SUPERB.

I was taught to "feel" fish by an old guy who was in his eighties and blind!
He could out fish anyone I have ever fished with, so keen was his sense of touch he could tell me what the fly was touching as it fell through the water - weed (and usually what type), how fast the current was, how deep it was (usually to the nearest inch correct too). He told me that fish often take and spit out a fly two or three times before they take it confidently, I have seen that since with my own eyes on chalk streams in the UK, but HE could feel it.

I cast normally, then practise by concentrating on the feel through the line - close your eyes he would say, use your senses properly - it still works for me today.

old mat 01-17-2010 11:01 AM

I always use dry flies as it is easier to spot a catch, but the way Speymad described the thrill of using wet flies, I want to try it out.

mist 01-20-2010 04:08 PM

I go for the wet ones. most trout fishes eat near the bottom rather than near the surface. This is the reason why I catch more than dry flies.

mirror 01-21-2010 07:49 AM

It really depends on where you fish. There are areas where it is better for dry flies as against wet flies. But if you go on river fishing it's better for a dry one than the wet.