Trout Fishing Forums   Lathams Fishing - Click here

Go Back   Trout Fishing Forums > Fly Fishing > Flies and Fly Tying

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 AM
papabear

Lightbulb Making flies with nature's bounty

When you are making your own fly, do you use nature's bounty like feathers, furs and the like or do you go for man-made fibers and plastics?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:22 PM
FishersWife

I know that fly-fishing started with flies made from natural materials (even hair!), but my family has always been a fibers and plastics kind of group.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:20 PM
skipper

I'd say anything is fair game when it comes to tying flies. If it's something that I can have easy access to and it's free, all the better.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:18 AM
drey

Yes I would rather use the natural materials than the artificial ones. Using them, I feel that the fly I make will better replicate the real fly. I hope the fish feel the same.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Mike35

I never really thought about using feathers, hair or anything like that. I'm new to tying and thought you had to purchase the things needed from a store. I'd love to try to use a feather.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:37 AM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper View Post
I'd say anything is fair game when it comes to tying flies. If it's something that I can have easy access to and it's free, all the better.

Boy, isn't this the truth-- anything is fair game, and yes, free is always better. I tend to go with whatever the people I am with are using.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Speymad

So, all you guys that want to start fly tying have little imagination then! Synthetics have their place, but the majority of flies I am asked to tie are made of natural materials. Sure, there are occasions when a little added sparkle is required or a specific pattern is requested that has a high proportion of synthetic materials and naturals won't cut it. There are some new fibres on the market that are almost natural in their movement and behaviour, but alas they will not outlast the natural equivalent in colour fastness or softness. Flies built from natural materials, if they are properly tied will soften with use, making them more lifelike to the fish, most synthetics harden with age becoming brittle and falling apart or matted together and look like a bick falling through the water rather than something edible. Give me natural every time!

Tags
feathers, flly, furs, nature, synthetic