Trout Fishing Forums   Lathams Fishing - Click here

Go Back   Trout Fishing Forums > Spinning > Hooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 PM
FishersWife

Default Judging Depth

When you decide to fish at the bottom of a pond, what do you do to ensure that your bait reaches the bottom? I've heard that much more trout eat here than in the middle-depth areas, and I want to make sure I don't cast to shallowly.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM
cheryl

How about a weight, seems like a 1oz should do just fine (sorry I am not sure what that is converted to for those in the UK). It is what we have been using on old Marsh's land (a neighbor who allows us to practice in his lake).
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
FishersWife

Thanks, Cheryl! I'll be giving it a try. I've done a lot of surface fishing but have less experience with fishing at low depths, so I have some learning and experimenting to do.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:47 AM
skipper

Try using a sliding sinker rig. That way the weight is at the bottom of the pond but the bait is floating off the bottom. It's a nice setup for bottom fishing.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:27 PM
FishersWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper View Post
Try using a sliding sinker rig. That way the weight is at the bottom of the pond but the bait is floating off the bottom. It's a nice setup for bottom fishing.
Oh, so this is a weight meant to sit on the bottom of the pond? For some reason I thought that was normally something to avoid. How high up on the line from the weight should I attach my hook and bait?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishersWife View Post
Oh, so this is a weight meant to sit on the bottom of the pond? For some reason I thought that was normally something to avoid. How high up on the line from the weight should I attach my hook and bait?
Place a sliding sinker onto the line, tie a swivel to the line to stop the sinker. Tie a leader to the swivel. Make it about .3 to .45 meters (1 - 1.5 feet), attach a hook at the end of the leader. Allow some slack after you cast so the fish doesn't feel any resistance after taking the bait.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:38 PM
FishersWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper View Post
Place a sliding sinker onto the line, tie a swivel to the line to stop the sinker. Tie a leader to the swivel. Make it about .3 to .45 meters (1 - 1.5 feet), attach a hook at the end of the leader. Allow some slack after you cast so the fish doesn't feel any resistance after taking the bait.
Thank you so much for the detailed description! I'll be trying this next time I'm at the lake; I bet I'll be teaching others in no time.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:33 PM
cheryl

I still tend to have questions that I ask my mates when judging both distance and depth (something I have never been good at), but it does take some practice. Once you get the hang of it, you will be doing fine just make sure you realize it does take practice.