Trout Fishing Forums   Lathams Fishing - Click here

Go Back   Trout Fishing Forums > Spinning > Hooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 12:40 AM
papabear

Lightbulb Bug repellent and sunscreen

Do you use bug repellent when you go fishing? I was wondering, with the sunscreen I use, and a bug repellent to too, will it not affect my skin's health?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
FishersWife

Sunscreen should actually protect your skin's health, so go ahead and use it as directed. I haven't had much luck with those little Off! spritzers, but the aerosol "Deep Woods" version has done the trick for me - I just hate using it regularly because it has Deet.

P.S. Avoid lotions and sunscreens that are banana flavored; mosquito's are attracted to that.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
cheryl

I use both but I do tend to mix them up a little bit as I can become immune (as most can) quicker than anyone else it seems. I am the natural person who is always bitten by almost anything so the sprays and the lotions are what I tend to remember to pack first.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
Fisher

Just be careful not to get that stuff on your fishing equipment. The chemicals may not be good for your line, lures, etc.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:23 AM
papabear

Common, Fisher. If it is good enough for our skin and is not harmful to our health, that won't hurt non-living things. LOL
Old 01-12-2010, 02:56 AM
CastingOut

Anyone who has been fishing long enough knows that the smells produced by sunscreen and bug repellant will drive away fish. Also, the chemicals can break down the coating that is on fishing line.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:05 AM
CastingOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabear View Post
Common, Fisher. If it is good enough for our skin and is not harmful to our health, that won't hurt non-living things. LOL
What happens is if you don't wash your hands, the chemicals will end up on your line, lure, sinkers, etc. and the residue will scare off the fish. The best thing to do is to apply the stuff away from where you'll be fishing and then thoroughly wash your hands before you start fishing.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:56 AM
drey

I agree with Castingout. If you are catch and release fishing, you will have to use your hands to unhook it and release it into the water. I don't know if the chemicals are healthy enough for the fish.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 PM
FishersWife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingOut View Post
Anyone who has been fishing long enough knows that the smells produced by sunscreen and bug repellant will drive away fish. Also, the chemicals can break down the coating that is on fishing line.
What if you arent't standing in the water, but on a boat or on the shoreline? If you use non-spray sunscreen and repellant and apply it directly to your skin, then wash your hands, will it have the same effect?

My kids need to wear this stuff when we're out fishing!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:02 PM
Fisher

@Fisherswife - As long as you wash your hands thoroughly after you apply the bug spray, you'll be fine. Hopefully, your kids will have fish biting instead of insects biting.

Tags
bug repellent, health, skin, sunscreen