Trout Fishing Forums   Lathams Fishing - Click here

Go Back   Trout Fishing Forums > Spinning > Tackle and Equipment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 08:33 PM
Mike35

Default Barbed or barbless - preference?

I have to say that I learned how to fish with a barbed hook and I continued to buy these. It was what I knew. I recently was told about barbless hooks.

Which do you use and why? Any preference?

I do like that I'm able to get the fish off the hook easier when it's a barbless hook. I also like that when I toss them back in the water (too small to keep) they fish are not as damaged.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:43 PM
FishersWife

I've also only ever used barbed hooks, though many friends have been talking about how barbless hooks are more humane especially if it's a catch-and-release fishing trip.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
drey

Recently I started using barbless hooks more, especially in the catch and release fishing trip. It really makes a difference. You can unhook the caught fish easily. Moreover, if you happen to hook yourself, you don't need to see the doctor to remove it.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 PM
papabear

I have used barbless hooks since I began this hobby. I haven't released any catch yet, and I don't know what the difference in performance is.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM
LoveToFish

I prefer barbless hooks because they cause less damage to the fish. In some areas where you have to worry about size limit, it's easier to release under or oversized fish with a barbless hook than with a barbed hook.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:31 PM
Mike35

That is the exact thing I'm talking about, easier to release the fish when they are too small. You don't know how many fish I see floating on top of the water from time to time. The hook got them too bad and the people just put them back in the water.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:54 AM
Pat

I didn't know that barbless hooks exist, but I love the idea of using barbless hooks. I would prefer to not have to harm the fish any more than I already do.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 PM
gbcpxt01

Unhappy barb or barbless

I have never used barbless hooks but agree that they are much more humane
and cause less damage to the fish, but am concerned that I would loose more takes than I already do now. Hs anybdy any views on this.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
cheryl

I am not really a catch-and-release type of person, what is caught gets used otherwise to me its just practice (which is good) but its the same as hunting. I am not going out into the woods to just shoot something, I am going to eat what I get.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 PM
skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike35 View Post
That is the exact thing I'm talking about, easier to release the fish when they are too small. You don't know how many fish I see floating on top of the water from time to time. The hook got them too bad and the people just put them back in the water.
I know exactly what you mean. The fish has just fought for it's life and then to add insult to injury, the barbed hook causes major trauma and the fish ends up dying.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:52 PM
speckled

I have to admit I've always used barbed hooks. It's just what I was taught with and I never changed. After reading all these posts about how easy it is to take the fish off, I think I'll switch to barbless and see how they work.